Are you are totally lost in the labyrinth of multiple debts? Does every paycheck seem to laugh at your face because it is another sure shot into your debtor’s pocket? A lot of people in similar situation consider debt consolidation as a solution to their financial crisis. Are their decisions justified? Let’s discuss.
To many people, the debt consolidation seems a magical concept which will make them debt free with a wave of the wand. It cannot be denied that rolling your debts into one neat package appears as an attractive proposition. One monthly payment instead of many can indeed be convenient. You no longer need to juggle with several debts and can manage your finances in a more organized manner. This will definitely help you to save some hard earned money. Depending on the method used debt consolidation can also help you to save on interest. Moreover your monthly payments can get lowered if you take a long term loan. Finally the debt consolidation company handles the collection calls. So you can stay relaxed and stress free. Sounds good huh? Don’t be too excited. You must watch out for the slippery side of consolidation loans. Carefully read the following things:
- Many people wrongly believe that debt consolidation loans are easy to get. Your intention to consolidate debt probably means your credit report is already in a bad shape. Under the circumstance you might not be eligible for another loan at all.
- It’s not true that all consolidation loans have low interest rates. Only secured consolidation loans have low interest rates. Things are just the opposite in case of unsecured loans.
- It may not be always beneficial to opt for secured consolidated loans although their interest rates are low. This is because if you default on your loan then you will lose your asset. Many people make the mistake of securing a consolidation loan with their home. Never take such a step unless you have no other option. If you default on an unsecured debt then your creditor can do nothing more than to file a judgment on your credit report. However, it is not always possible to qualify for unsecured loans. You must have good credit rating to be eligible for it.
- Low interest rate does not mean you have to pay less. Many people consolidate their debt for 20-30 years. In that case you have to pay interest for a long period of time and it can grow bigger than the original debt itself.
- Your poor financial habits, which pushed you into debt, do not change after consolidation. Few people have the discipline to effectively use the debt consolidation to repay their loans. They refuse to part with their poor spending habits and debt consolidation only helps them to rake up more debts by giving them access to extra money.
- Many debt consolidation companies have hidden charges and some are simply scams. So do your homework properly before you approach them.
Debt consolidation is an alluring concept to anyone who is caught in the quicksand of having too much consumer debt. However, the risks and liabilities outweigh its benefits. Therefore you should also consider its alternatives. For instance, debt negotiation is an effective way to lower interest rates and waive fees. So keep in mind about you have read and then decide if it is smart to consolidate debt.
Subscribe in a reader